Strawberry Ice Cream
This will be my go to fruit ice cream recipe - it's a little too much for my ice cream maker - it kinda overflowed a bit. Next time I'll try it in two batches. I think I'll try peach next ...
From Serious Eats
- 30 ounces (1 quart plus a little extra) fresh strawberries, divided (see note above)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons 80-proof liquor such as vodka or, preferably, Cointreau
- 2 cups half and half (1 cup milk, 1 cup cream)
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste (only added a pinch)
- Scant drops of lemon juice, if needed
Hull and quarter 6 ounces (about 1 cup) strawberries, then slice crosswise into thin pieces, In a mixing bowl combine strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar and alcohol and let stand in refrigerator for 2 hours or up to two days.
Hull remaing strawberries and puree in a blender until very smooth, about 30 seconds, Strain thru fine mesh strainer, measure out 1.5 cups.
In a mixing bowl combine 1.5 cups strawberry puree with half and half and corn syrup, and 3/4 cup sugar. Add a bit of salt and lemon juice if too sweet.
.Chill in refrigerator until base is cold, then churn according to manufacturer's directions. At the last minute add the drained strawberries.
Place in freezer for about 4 hours to freeze solid.