Silverthyme

A CookBook Recipes & Other Stuff or How to Keep the Kids from Developing Beriberi After They've Moved Away From Home

Friday, January 09, 2015

Easy Pasta Sauce

I need a new sauce - I've tried so many jarred sauces and they just aren't the same as they used to be - or my taste is changing? It doesn't seem to matter what brand I try or how much they cost ... so I need a go to sauce for pasta that I can count on.

I don't know if this is really easy - well it's not as easy as opening a jar of Ragu. I used Muir Glen tomatoes - I've used them a few times, but I don't like the taste - I'm not sure why - they are too sweet? So next time I'll use some other brand ...

I have another recipe - pretty much the same except it has no tomato paste, cooking time is longer and has 2 onion halves which are removed when the sauce is done - I'm going to try that next time. While this recipe is good - and might be better with better tomatoes .. not yet sure it will be my new best sauce.

2/2/15 - I sort of combined the recipes - with less garlic and half an onion

From Serious Eats



  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Generous pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano or a few sprigs fresh
  • 3 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
  • 1 large sprig basil
  • 1/2 onion - left whole
  • Kosher salt or whatever
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)

Procedures

  1. 1
    In a large pot, combine oil and garlic and heat over moderately low heat until garlic begins to very gently sizzle. Add red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic just begins to turn a light golden color, about 3 minutes. Add oregano (if using fresh add with basil) and continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
  2. 2
    Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until paste has softened and blended with the oil, about 3 minutes.
  3. 3
    Stir in canned tomatoes and their juices, increase heat to medium-high, bring to a gentle simmer, then lower heat to maintain. Using an immersion blender, blend tomatoes until sauce is smooth. (Alternatively, blend tomatoes in a standard blender before adding to pot)
  4. 4
    Add basil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced slightly and tastes rich, about 30 or up to 60 minutes. Season with salt.
  5. 5
    Discard basil. Stir in butter, if using, until melted. Use sauce right away, or allow to cool to room temperature, transfer to sealed containers and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home