Potato Rutabaga and Carrot Casserole
Not a very nice name for this - but I can't think of anything else to call it ... I copied it from somewhere and sort of modified this recipe - the original may have used parsnips - I know it was once published in Gourmet in some form or other ...
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/4 pounds carrots, peeled or parsnips
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter. Using a potato masher, mash until it is still a bit chunky. Season with salt and pepper (quite a bit of pepper). Transfer mashed vegetables to a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. This can be prepared the day before.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until heated through and top begins to crisp.