Silverthyme

A CookBook Recipes & Other Stuff or How to Keep the Kids from Developing Beriberi After They've Moved Away From Home

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sourdough Bread


This is my favorite bread ..

1 package dry yeast (fast acting is nice)

1 1/2 cups warm water

some rye flour (1-3 cups, depending on mood)

1 cup sourdough starter ( I usually use whatever I have - which is almost always more than 1 cup, but not more than 2 cups)

1/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons butter, soft

1 tablespoon salt

bread flour

Soften yeast in water with a bit of the sugar.

Blend in rye flour, sourdough starter, sugar, butter, and salt.

Start adding bread flour, and stir well.

Add enough bread flour to make a stiff dough.

Knead 5 to 8 minutes, until it springs back quickly when poked.

Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise.

Punch down and divide in half.

Shape into two loaves, place on corn meal sprinkled baking sheet.

Cover and let rise until almost double (you'll know it's double when it doesn't spring back any more).

Bake at 375F for about 35/40 minutes.

Cover with a cloth and let cool before cutting - hot bread is very hard to cut, so ignore all those people whining in the kitchen and wait about 30 minutes.

I know I didn't tell you how to make the starter -

1/2 cup warm water

1 package dried yeast or a small blob of dough containg yeast

1/2 cup flour - either bread or rye


Combine all this in a small container with lid. Leave it out on the counter for about 24 hours, or until it stops foaming.It should develop a sour smell. To increase the amount add another 1/2 cup flour and warm water and leave for another 24 hours. After you have the amount you want and it has soured, cover and refrigerate until you need it. If you don't use it for a while ( a week or so), pour off a bit and add a bit more flour and water ans leave it out again. If you save some every time you make bread, you can keep the starter going for years ...


2 Comments:

Blogger Jophina said...

YaY! I love this bread. I need the pork roast recipe.

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Jophina said...

I am thinking of trying to make my own bread.. maybe it's cheaper? TVM excluded. Can you possibly give me some estimate of how much flour to use in your bread recipes.. I know I know it depends and varies base on how it looks.. I am a terrible judge though. L

Sunday, July 15, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home